The Schools Travel Policy was introduced in 2005.
The aims of the scheme are to:
- achieve consistency in the way in which schools insure their activities
- avoid the possibility of a school forgetting to arrange insurance
- maximise the purchasing power of schools by negotiating discounted rates
The annual premium is based on pupil numbers. This non-adjustable premium incorporates the following benefits:
- world-wide cover for all activities authorised/organised by the school outside of their boundaries (without the need to submit declarations)
- premium based on pupil numbers, but cover also applies to staff, Governors & any other accompanying adult authorised to undertake a journey
- no premium loading or referral required for hazardous activities
- cover extends to staff appraising potential venues, courses & conferences
- 24 hour international emergency assistance
- assistance re: pre-travel advice on visa, driving & vaccination requirements and information on climate, currency, hotels, travel & healthcare facilities
- no returns required for trips
The majority of Shropshire schools have now joined the travel scheme.
Several claims have been made this year and all have been settled satisfactorily and in a very timely manner by the insurers. The feedback from schools involved in the scheme is excellent and has saved schools a considerable amount of both time and money.